Before mass production of medications became widespread, compounding was a routine activity among pharmacists. Your neighborhood pharmacist mixed and made all of the medicines you’d take.
The age of industry made medicine a “one size fits all” solution. Now, compounding pharmacies like Idel Pharmacy are returning to this more individual, customized way of treating people.
Compounding is the creation of a particular pharmaceutical product to fit the unique needs of a patient. To do this, we combine or process appropriate ingredients using various tools. This may be done for medically necessary reasons, such as to change the form of the medication from a solid pill to a liquid, to avoid a non-essential ingredient that the patient is allergic to, or to obtain the exact dose needed of a particular active pharmaceutical ingredient.
Physicians may prescribe an individually compounded medication for a patient with an unusual health need. This allows the physician to tailor a prescription to each individual.
It may also be done for more other reasons, such as adding flavors to a medication, altering taste & texture or to substitute for a discontinued medicine.
- Create patient-specific dosages to accommodate an in-between dose or to match a particular patient’s weight and size
- Combine some multiple medications into a single dose
- Prescription delivery upon request, in select areas.
- Change the dosage form to one that’s easier to take. For example, we can create a liquid suspension for a child who has trouble swallowing capsules or tablets
- Develop allergy-free formulations, change or remove inactive ingredients such as preservatives, dyes or lactose
We can make custom medications for:
Children – including flavoring so they’ll actually take their medicine.
Pets with special needs or that use a discontinued medicine.
People with allergies or special diets.
Anyone that can’t take pills. We can make liquid or rapid-dissolve tablets.
Healthy people looking to avoid certain fillers or suspect ingredients.